6:30pm: Meet and Greet, Sign In, Get Organized, etc.
7:00pm: Call to Order [Evelyn Van Orden, President]
Approval of Minutes [Marsha Stoddard, Secretary]
Treasurer's Report [Jerri Nicol, Treasurer]
Philanthropy Report [Judy Gregory, VP Philanthropy]
Sharing of Books
Show and Share
7:05 pm: Meeting Called to Order Evelyn Van Orden, President
16 members were present and 1 new member, Becky Goodman. A. Minutes Marsha Stoddard
1. Minutes of the July 11 Meeting were posted on the website. It was moved, seconded, and passed to approve the minutes as written. B. Treasurer's Report Jerri Nicol
1. The balance in our treasury is $1053.81. C. Announcements Members
1. One of our members, Diane Larsen, is planning to participate in the 3 Day (60 Mile) Walk, sponsored by the Susan G. Komen Foundation, to raise money for breast cancer. Betty Molinaro suggested that JCK contribute to her participation, since in the past we have supported the Komen Foundation, and since a number of our members are breast cancer survivors. It was moved, seconded, and passed to contribute $100 to Dianes account for the Walk. The website for Dianes account is: http://www.the3day.org/atlanta07/dianelarsen?faf=1&e=1169265560
2. Jerri N. and Betty have been working on a book of patterns to be used for charity knitting
. Jerri has set up a master of each pattern and copies available for us to take. Betty suggested that we reimburse Jerri for all her expense in making copies, purchasing, and setting up the book. It was moved, seconded, and passed that we make the reimbursement.
3. Marsha thanked Jerri Thomsen and Lee McIntyre for the delicious treats and added that a new sign-up sheet is available for the remainder of the year. D. Philanthropy Judy Gregory, VP Philanthropy
1. Judy Gregory announced that Afghans for Afghans finished a short challenge to make bright-colored hats for kids. 700 hats went to the Afghan Mobile Mini Circus, an after school program. They travel and teach others about Safety and Nutrition. The new challenge for Afghans for Afghans is making wool items for newborns. The deadline is in September, but Judy can collect for it at the September meeting. They are looking for baby sweaters, crocheted blankets, size 40X30, hats, circumference 10 15, and knitted socks (not booties), 2 1/2X3.
2. Jerri Nicol collected all the wash cloths for Nicaragua, since Lynne Emery is out of town. She will still be collecting them again in September. We turned in 45 wash cloths!
E. New Business
1. Many members brought favorite books to share with the group. The books are listed below.
2. The program at the September meeting will be a Knitted Baby Hat Challenge. Cathy Wacker will bring a pattern, and we will all use the same yarn and same size needles to create a baby hat. During the month of September we will finish knitting the hat, and at the October meeting, Cathy will demonstrate her special method of seaming the hat and finishing it. We think it will be interesting to see the variations in each hat because of gauge differences and knitting styles.
Cathy's hat pattern calls for Bernat Softee Baby yarn (5 oz, 140 gm) and size 6 needles. This yarn knits up beautifully and runs around $3.00 per skein. Michael's and Jo-Ann's both carry this yarn and frequently have it on sale or have 40%-off coupons.
F. Show and Share Members
8:50pm: Meeting Adjourned
JCK Favorite Books 2007
Bantam Step By Step Book of Needle Craft
Vogue Knitting Book
Vogue Knitting Quick Reference
Big Book of Knitting Katharina Buss
The Crochet School
Inspired Cable Knits Fiona Ellis
Zen and the Art of Knitting Bernadette Murphy
The Knitters Gift Bernadette Murphy
Fitted Knits: 25 Designs Stefanie Japel
Maran Illustrated Knitting and Crocheting
Knitting for Dummies
Knitters Book of Finishing Techniques Nancy Wiseman
Encyclopedia of Crochet Techniques Jan Eaton