First Wednesday of Every Month from 7:00-9:00pm
SCHOLL CANYON ESTATES RETIREMENT COMMUNITY
1551 E. Chevy Chase Dr., Glendale
***NOTE NEW LOCATION***
JCK Meeting Agendas and Minutes
(Scroll to bottom for Prior Meeting Archives)
JUNE 2012 GENERAL MEETING
JCK GENERAL MEETING
Wednesday, June 6, 2012, 7:00-9:00pm
Scholl Canyon Estates Retirement Community
1551 East Chevy Chase Drive, Glendale, CA 91206
6:30pm: Meet and Greet, Sign In, Get Organized, etc.
7:00pm: Call to Order [Evelyn Van Orden, President]
Approval of Minutes [Marsha Stoddard, Secretary]
Thanks for Treats [Sue Dietel, Hospitality]
Sue is our new Hospitality Coordinator
Treasurer's Report [Cindy Vogel, Treasurer]
Philanthropy Report [Judy Gregory, VP Philanthropy]
Ravelry Report [Eve Pereira, Ravelry]
Eve is our new Ravelry Coordinator
Programs Report [Bonnie James, Programs]
Bonnie is our new Programs Coordinator
LAC+USC NICU Visit
[Bonnie James, Kimberly Smith]
Knit in Public Day with Knerdy Knitters
[Evelyn Van Orden]
[Eve Pereira, Ravelry Coordinator]
LA County Fair
[Bonnie James, Evelyn Van Orden]
Show and Share
***Bring old and new LA County Fair entries to inspire us!
7:05 pm: Meeting Called to Order
Evelyn Van Orden, President
16 members were present plus 2 new members (Scholl Canyon Estates residents).
A. Approval of Minutes
Marsha Stoddard, Secretary
1. The minutes for the May meeting were posted on the website, and a hardcopy was available for review at the meeting.
B. Treasurer's Report
Evelyn Van Orden for
Cindy Vogel, Treasurer
1. The balance in our treasury is $790.95 (includes $0.10 interest).
C. Thanks for Treats
Sue Dietel, Hospitality
Sue announced that she brought the delicious sweets and Irene Rezaie brought the yummy munchies.
2. Sue passed around a sign-up sheet to bring refreshments for the rest of this year and into the new year. Please let her know if you would be willing to help out, as she didn't get enough people.
3. It was decided that the August JCK Meeting will be an Ice Cream Social!
1. Evelyn announced that due to July 4th falling on our usual Wednesday night meeting time, the meeting will be postponed for a week.
***NOTE: The next JCK Meeting will be on Wednesday, July 11***
Evelyn read a card from Cathy Wacker in thanks for the gift of yarn and a cosmetic bag. We are so grateful to her for her contributions all these years. We miss her and hope she will be back eventually.
3. Evelyn also read us a letter from
Soroptimist International of Glendale
, who held their annual
Bras for a Cause
fundraiser on April 28 at the Oakmont Country Club. Several of our members had donated items. The fundraiser raised $31,000 for cancer-related research and treatment at our three local hospitals.
3. Marie Benes brought 2 huge bags of yarn for us to take, and there were other donations of yarn and notions.
4. Evelyn reminded us that The Knitting Guild of Association (
) will hold their Knit and Crochet show in Reno, Nevada September 14-16. In her experience, there are excellent classes as well as many yarn vendors and great shopping at the market.
5. Someone brought an article about "Yarn Bombing", the practice of putting up knit or crochet "graffiti", or decorations around various outdoor locations, like trees, shop windows, cars. These works of art appear overnight and are just there briefly. Here is a link to lots of photos showing this art:
. There was also mention of the amazing gigantic crocheted lions on display in London for the Olympics. If you haven't known about these lions, you can see and read about them at this link:
Unfortunately you have to sit through maybe 30 seconds of commercial first, but seeing the lions is worth the wait.
E. Ravelry Report
1. Eve gave us a report about Ravelry, a website for the knit/crochet community.
2. Those who belong to it raved about how great it is for finding patterns, seeing how these patterns have been made by various members in different yarns and different colors, posting one's own photos of items made, searching for yarn, comparing yarn, having a place for a community forum, keeping in touch with our own JCK group, which has a spot on Ravelry, etc.
3. Eve passed around a handout telling us all about Ravelry, showing us exactly how to sign up and what all we can do while we are there.
4. Thank you so much, Eve, for an excellent report
F. Programs Report
onnie James, Programs
Bonnie told us that in the questionnaires we filled out several months ago, there was an even split regarding having a program every meeting or every other meeting. As a compromise, we will have a big program every other meeting, and for the in-between meetings we will do a "Tips and Tricks" segment.
2. There was unanimous interest in field trips. Bonnie told us about 4 possibilities.
3. Unwind shop in Pasadena will hold a Stitch and Pitch Party Friday, July 13, from 5 p.m. till late at night. It starts at Unwind, where there will be a gift and snacks. At 6 a chartered bus will leave for Dodger Stadium for the the Dodgers vs. San Diego Padres game. Bring your knitting or crochet to work on while we watch the game. The bus will leave at 10:15 and go back to Unwind, where you can do some shopping and receive 15% off your purchase. The cost of this evening is $45.
4. There is a LLama Farm in Apple Valley which takes visitors. We can bring some wool yarn and learn how to dye it. It is an active farm with chickens, angora goats, dairy goats, llamas, and a garden, and we will see all of these things. Lunch is served, and the owner recommends going in October because the pumpkins are in season, and she serves a special pumpkin chili. She recommends age 13 and up, if you are bringing children, because the yarn dying process is caustic. The owner said she is very willing to work with us and that her schedule at the moment is open. The cost for the day is $50. Evelyn suggested that we could partner with our "sister" guild, Knerdy Knitters, for this trip. The day begins around 10 and lasts until 3 or 4. Bonnie said it takes around 2 hours to drive to Apple Valley, so it would be a full day.
5. If you have any further ideas for programs, please contact Bonnie (
LAC+USC NICU Visit
Bonnie James & Kimberly Smith
1. Kim Smith was not able to be there to determine a date for our visit to the USC County Medical Center NICU (Neonatal intensive Care Unit)
2. There was a sign-up sheet to see who might be interested in a carpool.
H. Knerdy Knitters Knit in Public Day
Bonnie James & Evelyn Van Orden
1. Evelyn talked about Knerdy Knitters and their first event: World Wide Knit In Public Day (WWKIP), which will be Saturday, June 8, from 9am-4pm at the Downtown Burbank Promenade in front of Panera Bread across from the AMC 16 Theatres.
2. There will be a raffle, and there is a sign-up sheet for those who want to arrange carpools.
3. Evelyn told us that they have 2 meetings per month, the 3rd Monday of the month is a Knit and Chat, and the 4th Monday of the month is their Business Meeting. Everyone is welcome to attend meetings, but only members can vote. There are membership dues.
Judy Gregory, VP Philanthropy
1. Judy reported that the next campaign for Afghans for Afghanistan will be for hats, mittens, and socks for kids ages 718, and the items need to be 75-100% wool. The July meeting will be the last date to collect these items.
2. Sue Dietel will collect and deliver our items for Christ Child Society.
*3. Please see below for a complete list of the charities that we support and a description of each.
J. Ongoing Charities
click on underlined links to visit the charity's website
Afghans for Afghanistan
continues to need items for children aged 716, such as vests, hats, sweaters, socks, and blankets, and the items should be wool only. Afghans mainly needs socks and sweaters. Judy Gregory takes our donations and mails them off. We can also make wool afghan squares, with at least 1 side 8 long, using worsted weight wool yarn in a firm (not lacey) pattern. Judy prefers garter stitch. She collects them and then puts them together to make patchwork afghans.
Christ Child Society
takes baby blankets. Sue Dietel will collect our donations. This group makes comprehensive layettes for needy mothers, and they like to include a handmade blanket.
3. Jerri Thomson collects chemo caps for
Knots of Love
, an organization that sends the caps to cancer centers, now even in England. They have a website which lists the specific yarns they require us to use for the caps.
Irene Rezaie takes 2 or 4-holed buttons to send to women in Africa. They make things to sell using these buttons, and it gives them a livelihood.
Kimberly Smith works as a nurse at the
LAC-USC Medical Center NICU
. She delivers our preemie things hats, booties, blankets, sweaters. The blankets can be small, to cover the isolettes.
. Marsha Stoddard collects dark-colored hats and scarves all year for
, a group that sends boxes to our troops in December. To date, this organization has shipped over 700,000 shoebox-sized care packages to our troops. The scarf size is limited, due to space, to 5-7 wide X 45-50 long, and patterns are available at the website:
7. Any new charity is welcome the JCK member interested in that charity should take responsibility for explaining the charity, any specific requirements, and then collect and deliver our donations.
Show and Share
1. Evelyn gave us information about the L.A. County Fair, in case we would like to enter a knit or crochet item. June 26 is the deadline for turning in the entry form.
2. She also brought a trunk show consisting of some of the many knit and crochet items that she had entered at the Fair over the years, hoping to inspire you to enter this year!
pm: Meeting Adjourned
PRIOR MEETING ARCHIVES
May 2, 2012 General Meeting
April 4, 2012 General Meeting
JCK Favorite Patterns/Books 2012
March 7, 2012 General Meeting
February 1, 2012 General Meeting
Photos; 9th Birthday Party
January 4, 2012 General Meeting
December 7, 2011 9th Annual Holiday Potluck
Photos; 2011 Philanthropy Summary
November 2, 2011 General Meeting
October 5, 2011 General Meeting
September 7, 2011 General Meeting
August 3, 2011 General Meeting
July 6, 2011 General Meeting
June 1, 2011 General Meeting
Kimberly Smith Baby Shower
May 4, 2011 General Meeting
April 6, 2011 General Meeting
March 2, 2011 General Meeting
February 2, 2011 General Meeting
January 5, 2011 General Meeting
December 1, 2010 8th Annual Holiday Potluck
November 3, 2010 General Meeting
October 6, 2010 General Meeting
September 1, 2010 General Meeting
August 4, 2010 General Meeting
July 7, 2010 General Meeting
June 2, 2010 General Meeting
May 5, 2010 General Meeting
April 7, 2010 General Meeting
Includes JCK Favorite Books
March 3, 2010 General Meeting
February 3, 2010 General Meeting
January 6, 2010 General Meeting
December 2, 2009 7th Annual Holiday Potluck
November 4, 2009 General Meeting
October 7, 2009 General Meeting
September 2, 2009 General Meeting
Meeting Cancelled Due To Wildfires!
August 5, 2009 General Meeting
July 1, 2009 General Meeting
June 3, 2009 General Meeting
May 6, 2009 General Meeting
April 1, 2009 General Meeting
March 4, 2009 General Meeting
February 4, 2009 General Meeting
Includes JCK Favorite Books
January 7, 2009 General Meeting
December 3, 2008 6th Annual Holiday Potluck
November 5, 2008 General Meeting
October 1, 2008 General Meeting
September 3, 2008 General Meeting
August 6, 2008 General Meeting
July 2, 2008 General Meeting
June 4, 2008 General Meeting
May 7, 2008 General Meeting
April 2, 2008 General Meeting
March 5,2008 General Meeting
February 6, 2008 General Meeting
January 9, 2008 General Meeting
December 5, 2007 5th Annual Holiday Potluck
November 7, 2007 General Meeting
October 3, 2007 General Meeting
September 5, 2007 General Meeting
August 1, 2007 General Meeting
Includes JCK Favorite Books
July 11, 2007 General Meeting
June 6, 2007 General Meeting
May 2, 2007 General Meeting
April 4, 2007 General Meeting
March 7, 2007 General Meeting
February 7, 2007 General Meeting
January 3, 2007 General Meeting
December 6, 2006 4th Annual Holiday Potluck
November 1, 2006 General Meeting
October 4, 2006 General Meeting
September 6, 2006 General Meeting
August 2, 2006 General Meeting
July 5, 2006 General Meeting
June 7, 2006 General Meeting
May 3, 2006 General Meeting
April 7, 2006 General Meeting
March 20, 2006 Round Table Meeting
March 1, 2006 General Meeting